Saturday, September 11, 2004

:: Kerala "God's own country" : TN "God Forsaken Country??" ::

Here I am, after quite a layoff, and glad to be back to the world of blogging.The blogger's block seems to have gone out the window, as I return from a trip in which I discovered the magic that lies hidden in the hills of South India.If you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about, I just got back from a eight day odyssey to Wayanad, Munnar, Thekkady, and Kodaikanal, and the effect is a little tough to wear off.

Kerala is called 'God's own country' and honestly, the tourism board couldn't have come out with a better caption to advertise this heavenly land.There is a kind of untouched virginity in the place, and you feel that you have discovered something new everywhere you go.As one classmate put it, Here's what Kerala is all about - Mazhai, Malai, Maram (Rain, Mountains, and Trees).Here's to GK for coming up with unintentional poetry and for being my co-explorer.We dared deviation from the rest of the crowd, and happily explored the wonders of mother nature, in Eravikulam National Park( GK got the leech therapy here), Edakkal caves(we almost reached the top of the mountain, from where you can supposedly see the three states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka), and the place that was supposed to be a view point, but ended up being a brilliant, although fruitless, four kilometer trek up the hills of Wayanad.My personal favorite was the Eravikulam national park, AKA Rajamala, which houses the largest population of Nilgiri Tahrs in Asia. Although we got to see only one of them, the scenary was spectacular enough to forego the sight of all the Tahrs in the world. The clouds were literally at our feet and we could see them rolling their way across the mountains. And my immediate reaction was, "Man, this must be how heaven looks like!"

We also had a stunning time at the hotels where we stayed, and a special mention must go out to JC Residency, for being the highlight of our stay at Kodaikanal.The place was magical for being a budget accomodation, and the indoor games room allowed us liberties like all-night table tennis sessions. As I say that the hotel was the highlight of Kodaikanal, I wonder if you are wondering why I said that. After all, Kodai is supposed to be the most beautiful tourist destination in Tamil Nadu. My answer is - It's because of the people.There is a stark contrast in the way the people of the two states treat their surroundings. I got live examples of these when we were in Thekkady, and the lady who sold us banana chips promptly put the contents, which were in a poly pack, into a paper bag before giving it to us. On the other hand, when I wanted to dispose off a tea cup in Kodaikanal, all I could find were signs saying "Please use the Dustbin", but not a single dustbin in sight. I felt that the whole beauty of Kodaikanal has been over-exploited, and that the place has so much more to offer than molagai bajjis, dirt-cheap souvenir shopping, and noisy hawkers. Not to mention, is the tourist crowd, which will be a turn-off, if not anything else.I really think that the Tamil Nadu tourism department can pick up a leaf or two from the way the Kerala tourism is going about it's task of converting the state into India's best tourist destination.

I can go on ranting about how we can make Kodai better and how much contrast there is across the southern states, but feelings apart, I feel rejuvenated from the experiences of Kerala, and will look forward to exploring the land in more detail.Virtusa, please note.

Finally, one big "Oho!" - to JV and Siva for having put it all together, to make one heaven of a tour.

4 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Blogger Vinod said...

Yay, I'm the first to use blogger comments on THE STUD'S blog!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger pr!tz said...

Kerala......... I KNOW what you talking about, budd!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Bapiraju Nandury said...

Thanks, dude! I was searching for info on JC Residency in Kodai and found your blog. I found it very useful. Thanks for the info. I make it a point to read your blog from now.

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerala is indeed God's Own Country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home